Other Resources / Links
Here's a list of Health & Safety Associations, community partners,
key stakeholders and other valuable information
networks available to help you in your efforts to create a
- Ontario Ministry of Labour Alerts
A list of hazard alerts released by the Ontario Ministry of Labour.
- Ontario Ministry of Labour Announcements
Find news releases, background information related to a specific issue or fact sheet or any other announcement that relates to the status of major Ontario Ministry of Labour initiatives.
- Canada Safety Council
A national, non-government, charitable organization dedicated to safety. A resource for safety information, education and awareness in all aspects of Canadian life (traffic, home, work and leisure).
- Canadian Medical Association
A voluntary professional organization, representing a majority of Canadian physicians.
- Canadian Registration Board of Occupational Hygienist
A national, not-for-profit organization that sets standards of professional competence for occupational hygienists and occupational hygiene technologists.
- Canadian Society of Safety Engineering
A national organization for Health & Safety practitioners.
Easily locate occupational Health & Safety information provided by the federal, provincial and territorial governments of Canada and by the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety (CCOHS).
- Dieticians of Canada
A source of information on food & nutrition & health.
^ top of page
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
Information for occupational Health & Safety & environmental professionals and consumers; based on U.S. legislation.
- American Society of Safety Engineering (ASSE)
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Harvard University Health & Safety
US site provides factsheets on EH&S issues, EH&S manuals, safety alerts and more, based on US legal requirements.
- IPCS INCHEM
Quick and easy electronic access to thousands of searchable full-text documents on chemical risks and the sound management of chemicals. Produced through cooperation between the International Programme on Chemical Safety (IPCS) and the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety (CCOHS).
- National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health (NIOSH)
The U.S. federal agency responsible for conducting research & making recommendations for prevention of work-related injury & illness. NIOSH is part of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEH)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Vermont Safety Information Resources Inc. (SIRI)
A useful Health & Safety information site that includes graphics, powerpoint presentations, international links to resources. Based in USA, it includes lots of useful information for Canadian users.
- World Health Organization (WHO)
The United Nations' specialized agency for health.
^ top of page
- ACSESS-Association of Canadian Search, Employment and Staffing Services
Blends Association of Professional Placement Agencies & Consultants and The Employment & Staffing Services Association of Canada and represents all facets of the employment industry.
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology
- Association of Ontario Health Centres
- Association of Summer Theatres Round Ontario (ASTRO)
Promotes professional summer theatre in the province of Ontario. Updates on theatres and production information.
- Attractions Ontario
A non-profit tourism association that develops and offers marketing programs, services.
- Automotive Aftermarket Retailers of Ontario
AARO is a not-for-profit Trade Association representing the Independent Sector of the Automotive Service Industry.
- Automotive Industries Association of Canada
AIA is the national trade association representing the automotive aftermarket industry. There are close to 1,400 members, representing over 2,000 outlets which include suppliers, distributors and wholesalers.
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety
CCOHS is Canada's national centre for occupational Health & Safety information services and products. Has an international reputation as an innovative, expert OH&S resource.
- Canadian Council of Grocery Distributors
CCGD works with more than 200 other associations and provincial and federal government agencies in Canada and internationally.
- Canadian Federation of Independent Business
The Canadian Federation of Independent Business, best known for high-profile actions with governments on policies like tax, labour laws and public sector spending, has achieved many behind-the-scenes change through its advocacy role for Small Business.
- Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers
The Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers (CFIG) is a non-profit trade organization founded in 1962 with the purpose of furthering the unique interests of Canada's independent and franchised grocery stores.
- Canadian Liver Foundation
CLF was the first organization in the world devoted to providing support for research and education into the causes of liver disease. Founded in 1969, it was established by a group of doctors and business leaders concerned about the increasing incidence of liver disease and deaths as a result.
- Canadian Retail Hardware Association
The behind-the-scenes partner of Canadian hardware, housewares and home improvement retailers providing hardware retailers with the necessary tools to develop management skills, improve merchandising abilities, and create employee programs.
- OADA - Ontario Automobile Dealer Association
The Ontario Automobile Dealer Association represents every manufacturer's brand and franchise.
- Ontario Accommodation Association
Ontario's largest association specializing in accommodation operators. Members include motels, hotels, country inns, resorts, bed & breakfasts,
outfitter lodges: All types and sizes of roofed accommodation.
- Ontario Case Managers Association
- Ontario Chamber of Commerce
A federation of over 180 local Chambers of Commerce and Boards of Trade.
- Ontario Hospital Association
- Ontario Medical Association
- Ontario Nurses' Association
- Ontario Private Campground Association
The Ontario Private Campground Association's 450 privately owned campgrounds represent 70,000 campsites.
- Ontario Public Health Association
- Ontario Restaurant Hotel & Motel Association
The ORHMA is largest food service and accommodation Association in Ontario. Provides members with programs & educational services.
- Resorts Ontario
A Trade Association of over 220 diverse member resorts. A separate division is for suppliers to the industry of over 90 members. Members benefit from strategic marketing programs and co-operative buying ventures, reducing costs on volume purchases with excellent dollar return on investments.
- Retail Council of Canada
RCC is a not-for-profit organization of over 8,500 members and provides Canadians with jobs; consumer value; world-class product selection; entertainment of the marketplace. 90% of its diverse members are independent storeowners.
- TADA - Toronto Automobile Dealers Association
New Car Automobile Dealers of Toronto and GTA. Hosts of the Toronto International Autoshow.
- TSSA - Technical Standards and Safety Authority
Regulates safety in industry sectors such as amusement devices; boilers and pressure vessels; elevating devices; natural gas, petroleum, propane fuels and equipment; operating engineers and upholstered and stuffed articles.
- Young Worker Awareness Program
This Web site supports the Young Worker Awareness Program and contains
Health & Safety information for young workers, their parents, teachers,principals, employers and others. The site is hosted by Ontario's Workplace
Safety and Insurance Board.
^ top of page
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- Association of Canadian Ergonomists
The Association of Canadian Ergonomists(ACE) is an association of persons who have human factors/ergonomics interests, be they research workers seeking to expand knowledge in the field, practitioners endeavouring to apply existing knowledge, or members of the public and clients in need of human factors/ergonomics expertise and services.
- Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (B-CRSP)
BCRSP protects and promotes Occupational Health & Safety, Environmental Safety and Public Safety; through the registration of qualified Health & Safety professionals committed to a Code of Ethics.
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
- Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario
A not-for-profit association focused on innovations, issues and ideas that inspire leading human resources management.
- International Agency for Research in Cancer (IARC)
- National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA)
^ top of page
Federal Ministries (Canada)
- Bill C-45 Information Resources
CCOHS provides information on Federal Bill C-45
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Consumer Centre
Canada’s federal food safety, animal health and plant protection enforcement agency. Delivers inspection programs related to foods, plants and animals Their role is to enforce the food safety and nutritional quality standards established by Health Canada and, for animal health and plant protection, to set standards and carry out enforcement and inspection.
- Emergency Preparedness Canada
- Environment Canada
- Health Canada
- Human Resources Development Canada
- Revenue Canada
- Transport Canada
^ top of page
Government Ministries (Ontario)
- Government of Ontario Homepage
- Ministry of Labour
- Office of the Fire Marshall of Ontario
Providing support to municipalities and fire departments across Ontario including public education, fire prevention, firefighting, fire protection, training, and fire investigation. Advising on standards and legislation relating to fire prevention and protection. INCLUDES FIRE PLAN TEMPLATE
- Ontario Legislative Assembly
- Ontario Ministry of Health
This is the official Web site of the Ontario Ministry of Labour for young workers and new workers. Find out how to be safe at work. Find out how to be treated fairly.
- Canadian Cancer Society
- Canadian Diabetes Association
- Canadian Lung Association
- Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse
^ top of page
Health & Safety Associations (Ontario)
- Construction Safety Association of Ontario
- Education Safety Association of Ontario
- Electrical Utilities Safety Association
- Farm Safety Association
- Health Care Health & Safety Association
- Industrial Accident Prevention Association
- Mines and Aggregate Safety & Health Association
- Municipal Health & Safety Association
- Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers
- Ontario Forestry Safe Workplace Association
- Ontario Service Safety Alliance
- Prevention Dynamics-Virtual Health & Safety Portal
Ontario's first Virtual Health & Safety Portal helps find Health & Safety information, training materials, and consulting services offered by Ontario's Health & Safety Associations & Partners.
- Pulp and Paper Health & Safety Association
- Transportation Safety Association
- Workers' Health & Safety Centre
^ top of page
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry - U.S.A
- Duke Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health Resources
- Johns Hopkins Medicine
- PubMed - MEDLINE
PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine, provides access to over 12 million MEDLINE citations back to the mid-1960's and additional life science journals.
- RxList - The Internet Drug Index
- The Virtual Pharmacy Centre
PHARMACY, PHARMACOLOGY & TOXICOLOGY JOURNALS
(Cells, Genes, Lipids, Proteins etc.)
Neuropharmacology ~ Pharmacy
Pharmacology ~ Toxicology ~ Uranium & Transuranium
Major Medical Journals
(BMJ, CMAJ, JAMA, MJA etc.)
- Therapeutic Products Directorate (TPD)
Health Canada's Therapeutic Products Directorate is the Canadian federal authority that regulates pharmaceutical drugs and medical devices for human use.
The Marketed Health Products Directorate is responsible for coordination of consistency of post-approval surveillance and assessment of signals and safety trends concerning all marketed health products.
Biologics and Genetic Therapies Directorate (BGTD):
Responsible for the regulation of biological and radiopharmaceutical drugs, including blood and blood products, viral and bacterial vaccines, genetic therapeutic products, tissues, organs and xenografts. This includes evaluating and monitoring their safety, effectiveness and quality.
- NIOSH (U.S.) American Safety Alerts
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) is a U.S. Federal agency, headquartered in Washington D.C., responsible for research and recommendations for the prevention of work-related disease and injury. It is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- NIOSH Fact Sheets
- NIOSH Hazard Controls
- NIOSH Hazard ID
- NIOSH publications
^ top of page
Safe Communities' Foundation and Coalitions (Canada)
- Safe Communities Coalition, Sault Ste. Marie
The Sault Ste. Marie Safe Communities Partnership is a progressive injury prevention organization working to make the city of Sault Ste. Marie and district the safest place in the world in which to live, learn, work, and play.
- Safe Communities Foundation
Safe Communities Foundation (SCF) is a national, not-for-profit charitable organization dedicated to making Canada the safest country in the world to live, learn, work and play.
The SCF along with safety experts across Canada believes that all injuries are predictable and preventable.
SCF works in partnership with the private and public sectors to improve the Health & Safety of workers and people throughout your community.
The goal of the Foundation and all participating Safe Communities in Canada is to eliminate injuries while promoting a culture of safety through the implementation of programs and education.
- Safe Communities' Coalitions in Canada
This location on the Safe Communities' Foundation Web site lists the Safe Communities' Coalitions that exist in Canada.
- NIOSH Manual of Analytical Methods
^ top of page
Safety Specifics - Industrial Hygiene
- Aerobiological Engineering
- McMaster University Occupational & Environmental Health Laboratory
Provides occupational hygiene services to industry. Located at McMaster University in Hamilton, ON. Describes the service, research and education efforts and also provides links to McMaster Programme in Occupational Health and Environmental Medicine.
- US Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine
Workers’ Compensation Boards (Canada-Wide)
- Provincial Workplace Compensation Boards
This link provides contact information for ALL of the Provincial Compensation Boards.
- Workplace Safety & Insurance Board of Ontario
^ top of page
Did you know?
You are responsible for ensuring that contractors have sufficient personal liability/compensation insurance.